Thursday 1 April 2010

Drill Obama, Drill

Sorry, i couldn't resist the title.

As the birth of my first born approaches I've been a bit lax posting, so apologies for that. It's imminenet, so if I don't post anything for a week or so, then it'll be here. Or it'll be because I just haven't posted anything...

Big changes in the American offshore sector were announced today, which I suspect most of you will know about, but if not there is a link here. Of course, it won't mean much until 2012, but it gives us something to look forward to.

It seems though that the media aren't too clear on what will happen, many think that the price of petrol will plummet the moment there is a rig in the sea, and worse still, they think that hundreds of platforms will be built overnight, blocking shipping and attracting enemy radar. Not that I claim to know everything by any means, but I'm pretty sure this won't be the case.

Drilling has been underway in Iraq for a while now, but BP have awarded some drilling contracts recently. I did have a client who were looking for a large number of Middle Eastern nationals for some roles there, but they were contract roles, so the insurance premiums for us would be through the roof.

Bad news in the Falklands, it seems the oil quality wasn't great of the little that they did find. I guess they might find more elsewhere, but it doesn't bode too well, especially considering the political cost with the Islands' Argentinian neighbours.

I can't remember if this has been posted by me already, but the Stena Don is off to Greenland for Cairn Energy, to join the Stena Forth. I don't think they hav efound anything yet, but here's hoping.

So that's about all for today. Jobs wise, things are still up and down. I'm looking for:

  • Cementing equipment Installation Project co-ordinators with experience on deepwater rigs for a variety of locations.
  • Subsea Engineers with Hydril/MUX experience for a variety of locations
  • Good Senior Drilling candidates for some Jack ups in Malaysia going to Mumbai.

If you know anyone, pass this on. I'm trying to get my readership up to 500, (currently 200) so please do ask your buddies and pals to come and have a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment